Former UN envoy Mhura body arrives in Malawi

The body of Malawi’s ambassador to the United Nations died Necton Mhura who died following a long battle with cancer  has arrived in  the country through Chileka Airport in Blantyre on Tuesday. His body was flown in from New York, United States of America (USA) where the diplomat died at New Jersey hospital on February 19 2018 on Tuesday.

Hundreds of Malawians led by governing Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) and government officials converged at Chileka International Airport to welcome the body Mhura, who once served as Deputy Chief Secretary to Government from 2010 to 2012

At exactly, 3:30pm, Malawian Airlines jetted through Chileka International Airport with the remains of late Mhura. There was a sombre mood as hundreds shed tears when a brown casket was moved slowly from the plane. A short prayer from a Roman Catholic priest was made before the body left the airport to College of Medicine mortuary.

Some of the notable figures who witnessed the arrival of Mhura’s body included former Chief Secretary to Government, George Mkondiwa, now Malawi’s High Commissioner to India,  Foreign Affairs Principal Secretary, Isaac Munlo, Director of State Residences, Peter Mukhitho.

Others who also joined family members in welcoming the body of Mhura were former mayor of Blantyre City Council, Noel Chalamanda, business tycoon and chairperson of Mulhako Wa Alhomwe, Leston Mulli and Democratic Progressive Party Regional Governor for the South, Charles Mchacha and  councillor Louis Ngalande.

Minister of Information and Communications Technology Nicholas Dausi said burial will take place at St Mary’s Cemetery in Zomba on March 1.

Prior to his appointment to the UN, Mhura served from 2015 as ambassador to USA, Canada, Mexico, Cuba, Bahamas and  Puerto Rica.

He also worked as a research fellow at the University of Edinburgh in UK from 1985 to 1988.Mhura has a background in law as a former dean of the Faculty of Law at Chancellor College  School of Law in the University of Malawi, between 2004 and 2007.He also served as acting dean from 1997 to 2000 and head of the law department from 1996 to 2002.

Reporting by Jeromy Kadewere.