By Lyson Swala
President Peter Mutharika’s disclosure that government has removed ghost workers from the public payroll has triggered calls for greater transparency, with governance and human rights advocates urging authorities to release a comprehensive audit report detailing the number of affected employees, the financial losses incurred, and steps taken to prevent recurrence.
During his State of the Nation Address (SONA) last Friday, the President said an audit of public service personnel had been conducted, leading to the identification and removal of ghost workers from the payroll.
Reacting to the development, Center for Social Accountability and Transparency (CSAT) Executive Director Willy Kambwandira commended the government for taking action to protect public resources, but stressed the need for authorities to publish a detailed audit report to quantify the extent of the malpractice.
National Advocacy Platform (NAP) Chairperson Benedictor Kondowe, said the issue may require legal action, noting that the alleged conduct could amount to offences such as fraud, obtaining money by false pretences, uttering false documents, and abuse of public office.
In a written response, Center for Democracy and Economic Development Initiatives (CDEDI ) Executive Director Sylvester Namiwa echoed the calls for accountability, urging authorities to name and arrest those responsible.
Meanwhile, Office of the President and Cabinet (OPC) spokesperson Focus Maganga said more time is needed to provide updated information on the matter.
