Immigration system 90 % recovered, to match Chakwera ‘s three weeks directive

By Staff Reporter

Minister of Homeland Security Ken Zikhale Ng’oma says 90 percent recovery has been done on the immigration system and that the remaining 10 percent will be done within the three weeks timeframe as directed by the state President.

The minister said this at a press briefing in Lilongwe held alongside director general for the Immigration Department Brigadier General Charles Kalumo (retired).

Dr Ken Zikhale Ng’oma

Hon Ken Zikhale Ng’oma has asked the public to be patient while the ministry through the Department of Immigration is currently carrying out investigations to find out what transpired with the passport system which was ‘hacked’

“We have engaged into serious investigations which are underway and currently we ask for patience from the public,” Zikhale said.

He said that soon, the ministry through the Department of Immigration will release a report with detailed information.

Director general for Immigration, Brigadier General Charles Kalumo (retired ) has said that there is need for unity and peace as the investigations are underway.

“This attack is not an individual attack, it is directed to the people of Malawi that is why we need to unite and cooperate as we look for those who were involved,” he said

Kalumo has assured the public that the system will be restored within the president’s directed timeline.

The briefing has come at a time when some concerned citizens have requested President Chakwera to fire Zikhale Ng’oma and Kalumo due to prolonged passport issuance hiccups.