HomeNationalMalawi First wants Chaudhry Deportated Over Fake Diplomatic Claims

Malawi First wants Chaudhry Deportated Over Fake Diplomatic Claims

By Linda Kwanjana

Malawi First has urged the government to deport businessman Mahmood Azhar Chaudhry, accusing him of fraudulently posing as a consular representative of Pakistan.

The organisation’s president Bon Kalindo stressed at a news conference on Friday that Chaudhry’s conduct, masquerading as a diplomat despite clear confirmation from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs that he never held such status, amounts to criminal behaviour under Malawi’s Penal Code.

Chaudhry



“Government’s silence emboldens lawlessness,” said Kalindo, insisting that revocation of citizenship or prosecution must follow to restore public trust and safeguard Malawi’s international obligations.

The call comes amid growing frustration from civil society organisations such as Human Rights Consultative Committee and Human Rights Defenders Coalition over what they describe as impunity and weak accountability in governance.

The other groups Malawi First convened on 24th June to demand decisive action from the Attorney General and other state institutions.

They argue that Chaudhry unlawfully enjoyed privileges reserved for accredited diplomats, including the use of diplomatic symbols, and that government’s failure to act undermines the rule of law.

Beyond the diplomatic fraud case, Malawi First raised alarm over procurement governance at the Electricity Supply Corporation of Malawi (ESCOM). The organisation cautioned against executive interference in procurement decisions, stressing that processes must remain independent and guided by the Public Procurement and Disposal of Assets Act.

The Malawi First leader also revisited the ongoing litigation surrounding the Malawi Rural Electrification Programme (MAREP) Phase 9.

According to reports published in the Weekend Nation on June 13, 2026, three private firms namely Africa Green Economy Limited, Kumakoka Trading Company, and Loui Holdings Group (PTV) Limited, received nearly K1.4 billion in advance payments during the 2022/23 financial year but failed to deliver contracted materials.

Our investigations have also revealed that Kumakoka Trading is a company fronted by Chaudhry, and governance experts have argued earlier that such a move is suspicious and must also be investigated.

Malawi First warned against opaque out-of-court settlements, saying such arrangements would shortchange taxpayers and deny rural communities access to electricity.

“Public resources must be safeguarded, and any resolution must prioritise transparency, accountability, and completion of the project,” the group insisted.

Human rights concerns also featured prominently in the statement. Malawi First condemned the stalled prosecution of businessman Assif Hannif Chothiya, accused of brutally assaulting his workers in Limbe.

Despite video evidence showing injuries sustained by one of the victims, Kalindo said, the case has not progressed.

The organisation described this as a miscarriage of justice, warning that allowing confessed offenders to walk free sends a dangerous message that violence against vulnerable workers is tolerated.

In its calls to action, Malawi First demanded the Attorney General’s intervention in Chaudhry’s case, clarity on ESCOM’s procurement processes, transparency in MAREP litigation, strengthened oversight mechanisms across public institutions, and swift justice in the Limbe assault case.

The organisation emphasised that these issues transcend individual contracts or personalities, striking at the heart of governance, accountability, and justice in Malawi.

“Procurement integrity, respect for human rights, and adherence to the rule of law are non-negotiable pillars of democratic governance,” Malawi First declared, reaffirming its commitment to stand with fellow civil society organisations in defending these principles.

RELATED ARTICLES
- Advertisment -
Google search engine

Most Popular

Recent Comments